Although Milo-Grogan is perhaps one of the oldest communities in the City of Columbus, it is also one of the least recognized. Originally, Milo-Grogan was established as Milo and Grogan, separate but neighboring communities. Each was established by Jonathon Fallis Linton, one of Columbus' largest land brokers just before the turn of the twentieth century. Milo was named after Milo P. Sheets who owned a large brickyard in the area.
Patrick Grogan moved to Columbus around this time and set up a general store and post office in Grogan. Both communities were similar due to their population and livelihood tied closely to the railroad which surrounded them. Each neighborhood was also very heavily populated with Italian immigrants who worked for the railroad.
These areas, Milo and Grogan, accumulated many boarding houses due to the large number of male railroad employees, giving the communities rough reputations. Despite the large numbers of single men, there were still many families living in Milo and in Grogan. After a school opened 1894 the two communities began seeking annexation by the City of Columbus. Much to their disappointment, Columbus was not interested. However, by 1910 the City of Columbus realized their need for land and the two communities were annexed and renamed Milo-Grogan.
During the middle early twentieth century Milo-Grogan thrived. Manufacturers moved into the area producing thousands of jobs. During the day restaurants thrived due to the influx of workers in the area and at night neighborhood bars prospered. However, in the 1960's Milo-Grogan began to deteriorate. The once thriving community was divided by Interstate 70 which cut through its center. Many homes and businesses were lost due to the expansion of the freeway. The decline of the community increased as the twentieth century progressed. Many of the industries closed, leaving desolate brown fields throughout the community.